Fiddle Fingerings Tablature Generator
Batch Pre-processor for ABC Tunebooks
Instructions: Jump to Tool
This tool injects first position fiddle finger number tab into existing ABC.
This style of tab indicates the string name (optional) and finger that will be used to play the note.
It assumes that open strings will be used when possible.
1) Click "Open an existing .ABC file" to open a file or paste one or more ABC tunes into the box below.
2) Enter your preferred ABC font sizes, %%staffsep, and %%musicspace values.
3) Select whether you want circles around the finger numbers by clicking the "Numbers in circles" checkbox.
4) Select whether you want the string name to be added above the finger number by clicking the "Include string name" checkbox.
5) Select whether you want the tablature to appear above or below the notation from the "Tab Location" dropdown.
6) Click "Generate Tablature".
The generated ABC with tablature will appear in the "Processed ABC Output, with Tablature" box.
7) Save, Copy or Test the results:
Click "Save Output to a file" to save the results to a file.
Click "Copy Output to the clipboard" to copy the results to the system clipboard for pasting into other applications.
Click "Test Output in the ABC Transcription Tools" to open and test the results in my ABC Transcription Tools
Inject %%MIDI directives to mute bass/chords
Font family:Recommended: Palatino
Title font size:Recommended: 22
Subtitle font size:Recommended: 18
Info font size:Recommended: 14
Tablature font size:Recommended: 11
%%staffsep value:Recommended: 80
%%musicspace value:Recommended: 10
Numbers in circles
Include string name
Processed ABC Output, with Tablature:
Fails when converting multi-voice tunes:
For best results, use source ABC tunes that have a single voice. (i.e. no V: tags)
Unpredictable results may occur with multi-voice ABC files.
Tunes with key changes mid-tune may not generate correct tablature after the key change:
The tablature solutions only use the original key of the tune.
If the key changes mid-tune, the tablature solution after that point may not be correct.
Tunes with [GBd] style chords in square brackets do not generate the correct tablature:
You'll need to reduce these down to a single note for the tool to work.
If you find this tool useful, please consider buying me a beer
by tossing a few bucks into one of my virtual tip jars:
Complete source code for this utility may be found on GitHub